Saturday, May 8, 2010

Rock and roll on - Nirve MP3 Stereo Speakers

Yes, it has been a while.  We had an appendix issue at the beginning of March and then general spring chaos took over.  We are in the throws of it, but I couldn't wait to tell you about my new bike accessory.  I saw it, searched it, ordered it and am loving it within 24 hours of first sight.

I should start by saying that since the weather is nicer, I've been trying to ride my FR8 around town more.  We're running normal "car" errands on the bike now.  A trip to the store can be 10-15 minutes each way.  Some locations are up hills that I'm not very good at.  Music is a huge motivator.  When I am by myself, I can use my headphones.  If #4 is riding along, I cannot.  This is where the item below comes in...

The NY Times did a write up.  gear test and I poked around and couldn't believe how inexpensive and resourceful MP3 speakers could be for a bike.  The Nirve MP3 stereo speakers were well reviewed at most places I searched online.

These speakers are about the size of a padded sunglass case.  They have 2 velcro attachments to go on a bike's handlebars.  The case has a zipper opening and in the bottom section a band to hold your MP3 (or an iphone in my case) in place.  There is a plug that goes into the headphone port of the MP3.  In the top, there is an on/off switch.  4 AAA batteries.  That's it.  So simple, yet functional.

Now, can speakers the size of a sunglass case be heard?  Yes they can.  I have to make sure my music is not set too loud, because these speakers can project further than my local surroundings.


I found mine at Art's Cyclery .  They were $24.99 with $5 shipping.  They arrived the next day!  Woohoo.  Their price is pretty consistent at other online retailers.  Shipping varies.  The only issue I've had is that when I hit big bumps on the road, my iPhone skips to the next song.

Rock on....