Thursday, November 5, 2009

FR8 -my pretty orange bike

FR8 by Workcycles


This is my streamlined solution to transporting many kids and more stuff to school and around town.  I was previously using a 3 wheeled version for this task.  I found myself with more kids hanging on while riding on their ripsticks/skateboards than riding in my trike.  This led me to my beautiful orange bike.

FR8 stands for freight and this thing can haul.  It has the Massive Rack on the front (with a tub to hold book bags, lunches and more).  It's kickstand is an awesome drop down from the front stand (some people say it's has it's own bike rack).  It has dynamo lighting, an axl lock and an extended back rack.  The back rack has seating for 2 and there's one extra seat for a shorter rider in the front.  My bike has coaster and front hand brakes, a Brooks saddle and 7 gears for slight inclines.  Hills are not this bikes friend, but then it's a transport bike, not a mountain bike.

It took some getting used to, switching from 3 to 2 wheels.  I hadn't had to balance on a bike for 5 years. I've figured out that the back passengers need to get on after I do.  Otherwise it is too heavy and I have a hard time holding the bike up and getting on at the same time.  Someone with more coordination, or forearm strength could probably do better.


http://www.mydutchbike.com/ is working with http://www.workcycles.com/workbike/ to bring these bikes and more to the Bay Area.  This makes getting a quality utility bike so much easier.  For my trike, I had to import it, with Henry's (of Workcycles) help.  Now, My Dutch Bike can help you customize your bike to suit your style.  It can come in almost any color and has a variety of configurations.  A smaller front rack with a little middle kickstand is available, as well as opting out of the additional seating.

I love my Dutch Post Office Orange FR8, Oscar and Soraya of My Dutch Bike and Henry of Workcycles.  I thought I'd miss my trike, but it's found a lovely home on the peninsula with a mom of 3. This isn't a cheap solution to getting around, but to me, it's worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment